What is the reflex arc quizlet?
Definition : A reflex arc is the nerve pathway which makes such a fast, automatic response possible.
What are reflex arcs?
reflex arc, neurological and sensory mechanism that controls a reflex, an immediate response to a particular stimulus.
What is a reflex arc kids?
Kids Encyclopedia Facts. The path a signal of a reflex takes is called reflex arc. In many higher animals the nerve cells responsible for reflexes are not located in the brain, but in the spinal cord. This way, reflexes can be processed faster. Nerve cells in the brain still get feedback that the reflex action occurred …
How many reflex arcs are there?
There are two types of reflex arcs:the autonomic reflex arc, affecting inner organs, and the somatic reflex arc, affecting muscles.
What are the steps of a reflex arc?
The reflex arc
- A receptor in the skin detects a stimulus (the change in temperature).
- Sensory neurones send electrical impulses to relay neurones, which are located in the spinal cord.
- Motor neurones send electrical impulses to an effector.
- The effector produces a response (muscle contracts to move hand away).
Which is a reflex?
A reflex is an involuntary and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus. The reflex is an automatic response to a stimulus that does not receive or need conscious thought as it occurs through a reflex arc.
What are the elements of a reflex arc?
What are the 5 essential components of a reflex arc?
Stretch Reflex. The stretch reflex (myotatic reflex) is a muscle contraction in response to stretching within the muscle.
What are the 5 components of the reflex arc?
Receptor. Responds to stimulus (change in external/internal environment); Distal end of dendrites,sensory structure; Initiate impulse via local depolarization (graded potential)
What are the 5 steps of a reflex arc?
– Receptor- sense organ in skin/muscle/organ. What is the second step in a reflex arc? – Sensory Neuron- carries impulse towards CNS. What is the third step in a reflex arc? – Interneuron- carries impulse w/in CNS. – Motor neuron- carries impulse away from CNS. – Effector- response.